By Theophanes the Confessor, Cyril Mango, Roger Scott, Geoffrey Greatrex
Theophanes the Confessor (d.818) used to be a Byzantine abbot who fell sufferer to the Iconoclastic persecution. The Chronicle that is going lower than his identify, written in Greek, is the following translated in complete for the 1st time, including an creation and remark. It presents a distinct resource for the background of the Byzantine Empire to advert 813, in addition to the background of the Persians, Arabs, Bulgarians, and different neighboring peoples.
Read Online or Download The Chronicle of Theophanes Confessor: Byzantine and Near Eastern History, AD 284-813 PDF
Best ancient books
Those essays, by way of specialists within the box from 5 international locations, research Plutarch's interpretative and inventive reshaping of his historic assets in consultant lives. diversified essays deal with literary parts comparable to the parallelism which renders a couple of lives a unit or the subjects which unify the lives.
Theophanes the Confessor (d. 818) was once a Byzantine abbot who fell sufferer to the Iconoclastic persecution. The Chronicle that is going below his identify, written in Greek, is right here translated in complete for the 1st time, including an advent and observation. It presents a distinct resource for the historical past of the Byzantine Empire to advert 813, in addition to the heritage of the Persians, Arabs, Bulgarians, and different neighboring peoples.
The tale of incense is likely one of the so much interesting in either japanese and western tradition. From the 1st millennium BC to the today's it's been wanted and valued on a par with useful metals or gem stones. even though incense was once a luxurious, it used to be ate up in prodigious amounts by means of the traditional international, in temples and at funerals, but additionally in deepest houses.
- A History of Pergamum: Beyond Hellenistic Kingship
- Cultural Memory and Identity in Ancient Societies
- Network Analysis in Archaeology: New Approaches to Regional Interaction
- The Cambridge ancient history. The High Empire 70-192
- Civilizations: Culture, Ambition, and the Transformation of Nature
- Ancient Germanic Warriors: Warrior Styles from Trajan's Column to Icelandic Sagas
Additional info for The Chronicle of Theophanes Confessor: Byzantine and Near Eastern History, AD 284-813
6o8), which means that the orig inal was compiled before the conquest of that city by the Persians. The chronological indications are quite accurate for the sixth cen tury, less so for the fourth and fifth. The three eighth-century Melkite patriarchs who appear in the rubrics, namely Stephen III (742 or 743-744 or 745), Theophylaktos (744 or 745-750 or 751), and Theodore (750 or 751-773 or 774), the last being unaccountably given a tenure of only 6 years, have in de Boor's opinion 7 6 been interpolated.
1. The figure 8 is in any case incorrect, seeing that under AM 6304 Leo is in his 16th year out of a total of 16, whereas in 6305 (the last year of the Chronicle) he is in his 17th year. If the numeral 8 is due to scribal error, it can be corrected to either 18 or 20 [H' to K'), the latter being nearly right. Seeing, however, that Leo died on 12 June 816, the length of his reign could have been inserted only after that date, perhaps by an early redactor. iv. Patriarchs of Constantinople The list of Theophanes starts with Metrophanes, who is given the ist ordinal number, and his successor Alexander, marked 2nd; thereafter no more ordinal numbers are given.
Thus, all of Jacob's lists were more or less con temporary. 7 9 It should be borne in mind that from c. 5 7 5 onwards the succession of Chalcedonian bishops ceased to be of interest to a Monophysite author like Jacob. The near coincidence regarding the end of the Roman list strongly suggests that the document available to Theophanes was ultimately of eastern origin. There are further pointers to the same conclusion: for example, the Vatic, (but not the other Greek lists) calls the 49th bishop of Antioch Paul Ιούδας (presumably for Ιουδαίος).